Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Romance Confession

 
It's my turn. 
I took a deep breath, exhaled and then got up from my seat. 
I cleared my throat, kept my eyes on the far wall and said in a loud voice. 
"Hi, I'm Ren Thompson and I have a problem writing romance."
The rest of my imaginary group greets me in the same, monotonous tone.
"Hi Ren."
I nod and sit back down.

There, I said it. 
I love to read historical, sci/fi, contemporary, any kind of romance but for me to write it? I'm having a bit of trouble. I don't know what it is but I'm having the hardest time trying to put the internal motion picture that I'm seeing down on paper. You know what I mean. When writing, you have the whole thing playing out in your mind, right down to who is starring in it. I just can't get it out there the way I want to. And don't even get me started about erotica. That's like trying to compete in a triathlon a few minutes after pigging out at a buffet. It ain't happening.


Fabio had it going on back in the day...

I belong to a writers group, where about 80% of them are published. 
The main theme is romance and erotica. I do admit to being a bit intimidated because of it. I mean, the stuff they write is hot enough to singe off your eyebrows but I know its because of the talent that has been nurtured there. I post my feeble offerings and get my feedback. A couple of times I've had to lick my wounds, other times I go back to the drawing board and start again. I know its done with the thought and care that I develop as a writer.

One of my writer friends told me that I tend to freeze up when it comes to the romantic interaction between the characters. I thought I was writing a great build-up to "It" but nope. It didn't flow true. At first, I was a little upset but I had to step back and take a good long look at the way I write. 
And she's quite correct in her assessment.

Romance and I are having issues.

I like dark fiction. I like the horror, the twist, the sinister vibe, the intensity, the whole "OMG" aspect of it. The thought of creating that kind of reaction is almost like a thrill for me. I haven't quite figured out how to go deeper without coming across like a psychopath but I know its there...lurking just beneath the surface.